WEEK 9 : Developing a collection

07:48





Topic of discussion 
- Preparing a collection of garments

Objectives 
- In your group, each group member is to design two garments and develop a collection as a group



Developing a collection is not that easy. The week before, we were told to design garments as a group and I realized that there is more that to just drawing clothes. Before designing garments and putting together a collection, a designer must arrange a plan and conduct extensive research for the collection to be a success. Key topics arise in developing a collection and they help designers work towards the goal. Such key topics are:


1. Concept and Theme  

There is a difference between and concept and theme and both topics sometimes get mixed up. To clarify this, *concept is defined as an abstract idea and it is specific while *a theme is a specific subject or idea that recurs in a particular piece of work and it includes various ideas.

Examples : Concept - Sci-fi
                 Themes - Space, robotics, technology

                 Concept - Nature
                 Themes - Floral(plants), animal prints, texture, habitats, wild-life

When visualizing a concept, I need to ask myself whether the concept is good or bad in terms of how I look at it and how deep I can get into the subject.


2. Selling points  

A unique selling point makes my design different and sets me apart from my competitors. I can always follow up a trend but that does not mean I have to copy everything as there would be nothing different in my designs. Looking at the season may also help me in designing the type of clothes that suits the weather. Other matters to note are the functionality of my design and how is it wearable.




3. Target market/consumer target

Decide who my target market would be or to which group of people do my designs cater for. 

Why is it important? - Through target market analysation, I would be able to attain customers effectively and keep them interested in my designs. It also guides me to serve target customer's needs and expectations, arrange promotions or marketing plans to attract my target age group and assists me on where I should find or how to reach to my customers.





A proper design research is highly crucial why it matters because I should always design garments based on facts and not assumption. One of many ways to produce a good design is to detect the problems and solve them myself. Lastly, I have to analyse my competitors to realize who my main competitors are and who I am dealing with. By conducting competitors' analysis, I would have insights to the latest trend and by that, I could create a similar design that is already on the market but make it unique in my own way.





Source

* - http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-concept-and-vs-theme/

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram